Debt... It's A Bitch!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

HOPE got me no job


What do you do when you're an unemployed college grad who has an internship where theres plenty of down time? You got it, blog til your fingers bleed. Before I ascend the throne of blogaratti, I must confess that its taken me a while to finally break down and put my use of words for a cause other than ridiculing those in my life. Being one of the millions lumped into the largest college graduating class ever makes my bachelors degree feel like that time I walked away with a 17th place ribbon at a pinewood derby race in the Cub Scouts. Sure it looks like something important, but close up it makes for great ass whiping material. Which begs my question... why does a degree only mean your entitled a part-time career at Starbucks? Do I blame our education system? No. As you'll come to find I rarely find myself victim to "social injustice". I blame parents, banks, and well... the government. I separate our education system and the government because frankly, they should be. Government is for people who couldn't hack it the private sector, and thus cannot manage with competence. Parent... why should your kid go to school? Your child watches Family Guy, infuses Doritos as a dietary staple, borrows your 2003 Chrysler Sebring, and has only ever held a part time job at Subway for 3 months. THEY AREN'T READY FOR COLLEGE! Let them know that if they want a higher education they're going to have to work there way in. WORK, SAVE MONEY, GET SCHOLARSHIPS, SERVE IN THE MILITARY! Education is something you should have to fight for, it shouldn't be just handed on a platter with an all-access credit card. Work ethic is something best developed in the desire for something better. Banks... predatory lenders see student loans as great money makers. I see them as vacuums of debt that create higher interest rates on loans for people who rarely take out such requests and it creeps into other lending practices. And Government... is there anything that you don't completely screw up? When you have the keys to the printing press and a statist mentality, you can enforce your "goodwill" for humanity by pressing and changing the argument to benevolence and helping people. I'm am grown weary of my generation's entitlement complex. Since when did we earn everything that we claim were owed? Education like many of our contemporary issues is something that if you want, if you sacrifice for, you'll get. You have to want it enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment


THE MAN WITH ANSWERS IN TIME OF GREAT MORAL CRISIS