Debt... It's A Bitch!

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Is Christmas Coming Too Early?


This has become quite the argument the last few years, more so because those in Hollywood and the bourgeois at Hallmark have convicted us that Santa's fatass starts to jiggle right after Halloween. Even I admit the holiday tunes sometime in mid-November fill the silence of my Jeep. Someone I respect recently accused me of foregoing Thanksgiving and jumping the gun, so I said I'm taking this to my bully pulpit blog. We agreed that Thanksgiving was point of fact our favorite holiday. Its hard to beat a holiday where your house is turned into a high end cafeteria style banquet. I even know someone who literally dances before such a feast. However, even as you're slopping down the mashed potatoes one cannot ignore the all-encompassing holiday spirit, whether it be movies, carols, or the wreath on your local fire department. My argument is this, that the Christmas spirit can exist around Thanksgiving without threatening the holiday Pilgrims made hip. Thanksgiving has like 1 song to its resume (and its by Adam Sandler), 3 movies ( one is Charlie Brown, so it hardly counts), and the decorations are fashionable for a whole 5 days.

I can't help but feel that it does get annoying for some people to see Christmas stuff early. But no one I've encountered has bitched of an early Kwanzaa or Hanukkah. I think theres room to celebrate the holidays as the spirit of something that encompasses our goodwill toward mankind. Christ's birth represents one of the greatest moments in history; it embodies the truest love, one of life. God gave his son to mankind for our ultimate salvation. Within that spirit lies the heart of thanksgiving to our creator, and thus both holidays are one and the same. Mutually exclusive, hell no... Christmas and Thanksgiving are the greatest pairing ever (behind Turner and Hooch of course) which serve as the bookends of human love summed up in a season of joy and cheer. Because lets face it, Noel ends at noon that day, after the 8th showing of "A Christmas Story". Merry Christmas and Happy Thanksgiving. Break out the Nog!

1 comment:

  1. It is refreshing to find that someone else also enjoys the coupling of Thanksgiving and Christmas. The death of winter is only exonerated by the joy and profound memories of Thanksgiving and Christmas. I say bring it on.

    ReplyDelete


THE MAN WITH ANSWERS IN TIME OF GREAT MORAL CRISIS