Debt... It's A Bitch!

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Veterans Day


I guess its always personal when it comes to this and Memorial Day. Being as yesterday was Veterans day, I have to wonder how many out there had thanked someone who served. Its kind of weird going up to a total stranger and expressing an appreciation. I liken it to attempting a conversation with your boss at a urinal. You know he warrants respect, but the awkwardness alone makes it difficult from just getting on with business. Ladies, sorry... my best analogies revolve around bodily functions. You catch my drift though, in a sense that we wish it were easier. I know, for myself I feel like a chump being labeled a veteran when in the midst of World War 2, Vietnam and Korean War veterans, who had boots 3 sizes too small and ate food that would cause scurvy. These were heroes who were more men than most, and yet I still feel immeasurable pride having served in combat too, but realize I was also able to watch season 4 of "Alias" after a mission. However, the older veterans draw us in and treat we from Iraq and Afghanistan like brothers and fellow heroes. Its an odd brotherhood that I still ponder years after coming home. It hits me though sometimes that despite not being connected by the same war, were connected by the same spirit. We all answered the call. We defended the Constitution of the United States and the people of our nation.

This might sound like I'm elevating myself. I'm not, I'm elevating my friends, my brothers and sisters. My tour was a personal journey I'll never forget, but my memories would be nothing without the guys who got me through it. So to my friends, most of whom just got back from a second tour, I say from the bottom of my heart, the bottom of my being; you are all better men than me, and I as well the nation owe you a huge debt. God bless you.

To the rest of you... imagine wearing a uniform, with the weight of heavy armor and equipment, and the elements of extreme heat and cold. Now place yourself in the middle of a fire fight, or the blast of an IED, or feeling the shrapnel scrape across your Kevlar helmet. Place yourself in a moment of fear as you close your eyes. Then imagine that, for a period of months, without those closest to you, your wife, parents, children, or friends. Look, feel, think. I pray that you would come to some heartfelt peace that theres people out there doing things on behalf of your freedom, on behalf of you and the life your choosing to live. It makes going up to a veteran seem like such an insignificant thing despite the awkwardness. We owe it to them.

A LITTLE HISTORY
Armistice Day, which is now Veteran's Day is held on November 11th every year at 11am to signify the end of World War 1. 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month.

1 comment:

  1. Scurvy isn't caused by a certain type of food. It is caused by a lack of vitamin C in the diet.

    ReplyDelete


THE MAN WITH ANSWERS IN TIME OF GREAT MORAL CRISIS